Help for Sleep Apnea & TMD
Feil Orthodontics offers treatment for sleep apnea and TMJ disorders to help you get a good nights’ sleep.
Sleep apnea is a dangerous disorder that interferes with healthy breathing patterns during sleep. It is characterized by loud snoring, often affecting the sleep quality of bed partners. It can strain relationships, cause daytime fatigue, and lead to secondary conditions like depression. Severe cases can be life-threatening.
Early orthodontic intervention can prevent sleep apnea by correcting jaw discrepancies that constrict the airway later in life. Orthodontic appliances designed to open the airway are also available for adults experiencing sleep apnea.
Temporal Mandibular Joint Disorders (TMJ) are complications associated with the temporomandibular joint where the jaw and skull come together. This joint, although small, can cause chronic pain and symptoms that make performing everyday tasks quite painful or difficult.
TMJ is often treatable with orthodontics, and care will vary for each patient. Dr. Feil offers at-home remedies, physical therapy, bite guard or splint therapy, and orthodontic dental correction if the root cause is malocclusion or“bad bite.”
Signs and Symptoms of TMJ Disorders
- Your jaws ‘pop’ in and out of place and get stuck in certain positions
- You cannot open your mouth very wide
- You hear grating or popping sounds when chewing or speaking
- You have swelling on one or both sides of your face
- You have pain in your face, neck, or shoulders when speaking and eating
- You have chronic headaches, upper shoulder pain, or experience dizziness
- You experience ringing of the ears, earaches, or have difficulty hearing